Thank you for the inclusion!
The Business and Beauty of Style
Edited by Debutante Clothing
This week, the links were especially thoughtful. With all of the buzz about fashion bloggers and how (or if) we make money, it was great to see some insightful posts about fashion and the almighty dollar. Grechen of Grechen Blogs discusses blogging for money, while Style On a String takes an in depth look at the dark side of logo chasing. But let’s not get too bogged down with the seriousness of fashion. Perhaps Simply Luxurious can convince you to indulge in the beauty of fashion with her collage of gorgeous, backless gowns. Or maybe you’re more interested in a catwalk down memory lane, via celluloid, with Old Fashion Love Story’s stills of unforgettable 70s costumes from the film Mahogany (costume designed by Miss Diana Ross!). After all, in the sarcastic words of Stanley Tucci in The Devil Wears Prada, “Yes, that is what this billion dollar business is all about. Inner beauty”. Enjoy!
Links à la Mode : May 6
It’s been a crazy week or so…
Things are finally slowing down, so we will be back to our regularly scheduled fierceness soon!
In the meantime be sure to check out the IFB’s Weekly Round up!
Food for Thought
Edited by Ashe Mischief
This is my first time editing since I wrote Good Cop/Bad Cop: Participating in Links a la Mode. Thank you all so much for making this my most pleasurable experience in editing yet!
I’m not sure if it’s because American Thanksgiving is a week away, or because the blogosphere is ablaze with Kate Mosses’ unforgettable quote, “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels,” but either way, I’ve got food on my mind. This week, you brought me the best kind of food–rich, decadent, and 100% calorie-free! That’s right–you delivered highly thoughtful posts on fashion, fashion blogging & communities, and more.
On a personal note, ferOHHHsh has asked that we share her post about her close friend’s near-fatal accident. I believe that the fashion community is one of surprising strength, dignity, caring and compassion, and that it was worth sharing. We’re sending your friend speedy thoughts for a wonderful recovery!
Links à la Mode : November 19th
- Awakened Aesthetic: – Eco-Friendly Stocking Stuffers (Part I)
- Crisis in Denim: – Crisis in Denim: I make gentle fun of a Banana Republic ‘rewards’ card I received in the mail, that seems designed to make me think I accomplished something by shopping at BR and earning ‘rewards’ points, by riffing on the president’s Yes We Can slogan.
- dramatis personae: – the Hat’s Out of the Bag! by Michelle at Wicked Whimsy
- Fashion X K8: – The importance of Fashion Ad Campaigns and analyzing the collective subconcious of fashion consumers. I beg the question, what makes a great Fashion Ad.
- Further Ado: – With many of their paper equivalents going bust, Further Ado finds 5 great online fashion magazines to keep you satisfied.
- Grit and Glamour: – yesterday The Psychology of Lace Lace, in spite of its implied fragility, holds very special power in the sartorial world.
- Idiosyncratic Style – Infatuation List: Five Fall Fashion Favorites
- Independent Fashion Bloggers – Fashion Blogging : The Road Ahead
- kaKofonie Of si(gh)lenS: – Interview with Lauren Jones of mydearthing
- Mystery Creature: – I love vintage, I love handmade… but I don’t love Etsy, as much as I want to.
- Oranges and Apples: – What drives fashion bloggers? Oranges and Apples in the Scotsman
- Random Fashion Coolness: – Musings on the power-partnerships in the Blogosphere
- Shoe Daydreams: – Collaborations and “inspiration”
- slsvgg fashion: – An interview with Gossip Girl actress LEIGHTON MEESTER, on her style
- Somewhere over the Skyline…: – rugality? Sustainability? The Recession! – Thoughts & Recommendations on Sustainable/Vintage Lifestyles
- Super Kawaii Mama: – Meet the Dr. of Dames and her new book Our Girl’s – Aussie Pin Up’s of the 40’s & 50’s
- THE COVETED: – Benefits of Chilly Days… Coats!
- The Curvy Fashionista – Got the Plus Size Bridal Dress woes? Enter in Cc.Elaine- A studio dedicated to the Curvy.Confident.Chic. Plus Size Bride
- The New Wave: – Underwear as Outerwear: How to wear this spring’s runway trend using vintage pieces.
- The Pixelated Blonde – Fashion: it’s an individual thing – a look at how to be stylish whilst maintaining one’s individuality.
- White Rabbit: – Lookbook.nu vs. Flickr’s Wardrobe Remix – the battle of “What I wore today” sites
- Wicked Whimsy: – Rene Geneva Designs – featuring a local, woman run eco-friendly design house that makes gorgeous clothes to boot!